OK, so they’re almost back. The Cleveland Cavaliers started their preseason slate with a domination of the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday night in front of a raucous crowd of just over 9,000. Since this is Believing Since 1999’s first post dedicated solely to the Cavs ahead of the 2013-14 season, we’re going to do this the best way I know how: A long list of bullet points that aren’t arranged in any logical sort of order, but are short enough for you to easily read through. Some will be a preview-y, some will be editorial, and some will link you to people who can express their thoughts on Cavs basketball in clearer and better terms than yours truly.
I’m pretty excited.
I’m also listening to “Give it 2 U” by Robin Thicke, which is the song that is responsible for Kendrick Lamar being on the stage while Miley Cyrus was making a mess out of this year’s VMA’s. This is assuming, of course, that the VMA’s are traditionally a tasteful display of the best and brightest in popular musical culture. Regardless, it was perhaps the lowest moment of Kendrick’s otherwise great young career. But I digress.
Here’s a host of Cavaliering things for your reading pleasure this Thursday.
– They won on Tuesday. Here’s your NBA.com post game package including the box score, highlights, and everyone’s favorite AP recap.
– And your post game presser featuring Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett, and Mike Brown courtesy of Cavs.com.
– Mike Brown, who some say is coaching this team as if he’s the second coming of Mike Brown, is going to make the Cavs defend. That will be a welcome change for a team that ranked 25th out of 30 teams in points allowed a season ago. The Bucks scored 87 on Tuesday, which is much better than the 101 per game the Cavs allowed in the 2012-13 campaign. Yes, it was only the preseason, but the point is still important.
– CAVS: The Blog does a wonderful job recapping the first on-court performance of the season in their recap.
– Brendan Bowers of Stepien Rules focused on rookie sharpshooter Sergey Karasev and Kyrie Irving’s defense in a piece yesterday, which everyone should read.
– Conrad Kaczmarek, the head man over at SB Nation’s Fear the Sword, offered this season preview ahead of the game. He even mentioned playoffs, which is a very real thing for this season’s Cavs.
– Grantland’s Zach Lowe also previewed the whole freakin’ NBA earlier this week, and his take on the Cavs is worth your time. Playoffs also mentioned in this one.
– First overall pick Anthony Bennett’s first NBA points were the result of a dunk, and that’s all anyone should really care about at this point. Not that his first few shots weren’t the prettiest.
Anthony Bennett’s shots so far – Brick, shot blocked, shot blocked & an air ball! #Cavs
— Kenny Roda (@TheKennyRoda) October 8, 2013
– Speaking of Bennett, he scored on an alley oop from Karasev in a moment of pure rookie glory.
– Since Kyrie Irving hasn’t gotten his own bullet point yet, this is it. When he’s not busy being on the cover of a video game, he shoots 50% from the field en route to 14 points, three assists, and a pair of steals in Cavs preseason games. What a guy.
Finally, cavsforever captured this piece of internet gold of Irving on Instagram that should warm everyone’s heart. Never leave us.